Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-02-18

Our conditions have not changed. Kicking off 2018 with super sneaky conditions that look decent, but are really tough to deal with. There is about 6" of snow in the yards, but it is all lake effect stuff and it has settled to 2" on the trail, which isn't really enough to cover the rocks. I am going to have some of the West system panned tomorrow, which is mostly to clear downed trees. I don't know when we had wind that would bring wood down, but it wasn't that bad in Iggy, it must have just blown through Rexton - Trout Lake just right. I had no idea we would have had problems until I started getting info on New Years Eve. So, Bobby volunteered to run a part of the west loop and get that cleared out tomorrow, and Kenny and I cleared the big trees on the RR Grade, so we should be safe soon.

Trail conditions are really rough, both bumpy and low snow. We just have not had enough to work the trail in, and runnin on what we have is very hard on teh groomers. We need 3-5" of system snow, or 9-12" of Lake Effect to get thing worked in properly. We will do what we can as soon as we can, but it isn't pretty right now. I hate starting the new year like this.

Forecast is crazy.
Should see an inch tomorrow with 20d temps, and then the bottom falls out, and Thursday and Friday our HIGH temps are 1-2d! Long range forecast is showing a possible storm on Monday. Maybe that will give us the shot we need.

Quote:
Tonight: Flurries before 8pm, then periods of snow showers, mainly after 8pm. Low around 11. Wind chill values as low as -3. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday: Periods of snow showers, mainly before 8am. High near 18. Wind chill values as low as -2. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -25. North wind 10 to 15 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 2. North wind around 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -13.

Friday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 1.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 11.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6.

Sunday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 25.

Sunday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18.

Monday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 25.

Stay positive, and for now you will have to chase the snow into the snow belts.

Island update:
We had lots of ice in the big lake, and things looked locked in on Friday, but the winds came up Sat, and by SUnday night, there was open water between here and the island. As of today, the bays are froze, the straits is plugged, but there is nothing but open water between here and the isl.

I will leave you with our Trout Lake tree project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg (90.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_161201.jpg (104.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_163106.jpg (69.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_163111.jpg (98.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_163607.jpg (78.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-02-18

Thanks for the update! Nice job on the Trout Lake Tree Removal. Looking forward to a great 2018 riding season.

Pat
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Our conditions have not changed. Kicking off 2018 with super sneaky conditions that look decent, but are really tough to deal with. There is about 6" of snow in the yards, but it is all lake effect stuff and it has settled to 2" on the trail, which isn't really enough to cover the rocks. I am going to have some of the West system panned tomorrow, which is mostly to clear downed trees. I don't know when we had wind that would bring wood down, but it wasn't that bad in Iggy, it must have just blown through Rexton - Trout Lake just right. I had no idea we would have had problems until I started getting info on New Years Eve. So, Bobby volunteered to run a part of the west loop and get that cleared out tomorrow, and Kenny and I cleared the big trees on the RR Grade, so we should be safe soon.

Trail conditions are really rough, both bumpy and low snow. We just have not had enough to work the trail in, and runnin on what we have is very hard on teh groomers. We need 3-5" of system snow, or 9-12" of Lake Effect to get thing worked in properly. We will do what we can as soon as we can, but it isn't pretty right now. I hate starting the new year like this.

Forecast is crazy.
Should see an inch tomorrow with 20d temps, and then the bottom falls out, and Thursday and Friday our HIGH temps are 1-2d! Long range forecast is showing a possible storm on Monday. Maybe that will give us the shot we need.

Stay positive, and for now you will have to chase the snow into the snow belts.

Island update:
We had lots of ice in the big lake, and things looked locked in on Friday, but the winds came up Sat, and by SUnday night, there was open water between here and the island. As of today, the bays are froze, the straits is plugged, but there is nothing but open water between here and the isl.

I will leave you with our Trout Lake tree project.
That tree removal went a lot smoother than I thought it would

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
indootime
Trail Master

Man...am I ever looking forward to have a “Trails groomed” update!

Snow Dance Needed!
Closed Thread