Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-28-17

OK lets get to this real quick. It is darn cold out there, 1 below zero in Iggy this morning, and 10 below out of town. I have been hammered with calls, texts e-mails wanting to to know if the trails are in good shape, so here is the COLD hard truth, our trails are NOT in good condition, we just have not seen teh snow off Lake Superior, and everything that has come this season is lake effect - which usually misses us. We have maybe 5" of light stuff in Iggy, 6" in Trout Lake and Rexton, but Moran Brevort & Epoufette are less then that. Locals running beater sleds have Moran trails down to snirt, so you know rocks are poking through most of the RR Grade, and sand will be mixed in on the Western trails. Are trails rideable? YES. Have/will we be grooming? NO. We have not panned yet, we just need more snow.

If you have net seen it, drop back to this post and check out the snow cover map and skim through the info there, nothing has changed: http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1897

As far as riding, I don't have a ton of info for you, but what I have heard is the Newbery is doing some grooming, and may be your best spot. The Soo is too, connecting to the Chasers to teh West. Paradise is having groomer & people problems and don't have their trails opened up yet, - DON'T GO AROUND CLOSED GATES!

If staying here, I would recommend trailering to Trout Lake, and riding North, or Rexton, and Ride towards Newberry (Don't ride swamp Rex to TL)

FORCAST:
Well it is going to be cold for another week. There is supposed to be a small system snow tonight bringing an inch across our whole area. Everything that I read and watch says this should hold true, BUT I found a little nugget that isn't getting alot of attention. The low is passing through Traverse City, which means for a brief period the winds are going to shift from the East, to ESE, and then South. South is usually warmer winds to it hurts us, but it is so cold out it looks like we actually will get some lake effect coming in due South from Lake Michigan. This almost never happens, and there is only one place that is forecasting amounts of 4-5 inches for Western Mackinac County. It will all depend on how long the winds stay out of the South, and precisely which direction, but Naubinway could see some, and maybe even our Western trails. We will see as it should happen tonight into tomorrow morning.

In the meantime:

Quote:
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Winter Weather Advisory

Today: Isolated snow showers after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14. Wind chill values as low as -15. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight: Periods of snow showers, mainly after 10pm. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -4. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Friday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -4. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the afternoon.

Friday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -5. North wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 13. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -4.

Sunday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 8.

Sunday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0.

New Year's Day: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 13.

I will update as I get more info. I have a guy heading West to actually go on and look at trails later today.

Sorry about the bad news for around here, I never sugar coat the conditions, but hopefully you can get some riding in, even if it is in another area.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-28-17

Tasa has groomed to Rexton ok north of that caffy tr on north 8 inches then decreases south ...going out now post more later
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Just talked to a guy that roade from Paradise to Pine Stumpo last Friday, which is 6 days ago. Lots more loggin up there then he thought. He felt fully half of that 30 mile trail was plowed. Just a FYI
Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

Waynes trail inspection confirmed that there isn't enough to pan down out there yet. only 4" in most places, with just a little more in the woods on the South side.

Pics are what you will find on the RR Grade from Moran to Burma Grade - the central portion of the Grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1747.jpg (88.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1749.jpg (84.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (13.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg (71.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Arrow Re: Trail Conditions 12-28-17

Hey ROCKY watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:53 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Radar isn't showing the help from lake effect so far, and Iggy only has a trace.

Wonder what the next few hours will bring?

Quote:
... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GAYLORD HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING, WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * WHAT... LAKE EFFECT SNOW OCCURRING. PLAN ON SLIPPERY ROAD CONDITIONS. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES, WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO 12 INCHES ACROSS FAR WESTERN SECTIONS OF MACKINAC COUNTY, ARE EXPECTED. * WHERE... FAR WESTERN MACKINAC COUNTY. * WHEN... UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS... BE PREPARED FOR VISIBILITIES AT TIMES TO BE ZERO... ESPECIALLY ALONG THE US-2 COORIDOR. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW MEANS LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT IN SOME AREAS. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

The next few hours brang... SNOW!
Nothing at 3:30 this morning, and I awoke to a solid 2" in Iggy. Epoufette is in the 2-3" class, and Moran was around 5". Only bad thing is there is zero moisture in this and it will pack to nothing, but I have some guys checking things out right now.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
raypa
Liquid Cooled

watching things close .
2 years in a row we had to cancel our michigan trip and head to main.
We are supposed to stay at supper 8 in st iggy January 14th ride to munising and Houghton for a few days then ride back to super 8 on Friday.
the way things are right now can we ride from hotel and do this trip?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Snow VP
Administrator

@raypa
I would say right now it is not a good idea. We can pick up snow between now and then though, and we really only need 3-4" of GOOD snow. Lake effect is next to useless.

The snow totals I reported are misleading. Apparently Waynes place in Moran got 5", and just a mile and a half away Chris only got 1.5"

Wayne is doing a test groom on the grade out of town right now. I will post results after lunch, but it doesn't look promising.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
raypa
Liquid Cooled

ok thanks I'll keep watching
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

NOTICE:

We have a tree down completely blocking the trail about 1 miles South of Trout Lake. Trying to find someone that can get it opened up.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Snow VP
Administrator

So here is the skinny.

Wayne came into town and took teh groomer from Iggy to the Burma on the RR Grade. He said it was hands down the worst first groomer trip he has ever taken. It apparently felt like he was dragging a bare gravel road, which is very strange because the trail actually looks quite good. He was creeping along and even at a slow speed hit a whole so hard he though he broke a window! He would not even bring the tractor back into town it was so bad. That does it folkes, it looks good, but it is way too hard on our equipment, so we are going to wait some more before trying to pan everything down.

He did say there was a fair number of sleds out, new and old. Trout Lake is having decent traffic to. There is enough snow by far to cool and lube the sled, so have at it. This lake effect just isn't enough to warrant a groomer run though. Believe me, the guys are chomping at the bit to go, but they are also saying it just isn't worth it quite yet. Yes I know there are areas that have some decent snow, and yes I know it is rough, but we are going to hold firm for just a bit longer and see what it does.

Bottom line, I would rather be super honest with you and have you enjoy our trails later in the season, then to overstate the conditions and have everyone upset at me.

In the meantime, I have someone looking at the tour lake tree, and will let you know bout that. If anyone is on the trail and sees a hazard, please post it up here or send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
gambeler1
Junior Rider

Hi Neil and Happy New Year.
Just wondering if anything has changed snow/trail condition wise. We are coming up Wednesday or Thursday and trying to decide where to stay. So far it looks like Newberry. But we always prefer St. Ignace.
Thanks, Tony
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Snow VP
Administrator

@Tony
Things are very thin around here. There have been some sleds riding, but it is a long long ways from good. Snirt and rocks are coming through the tail in alot of places, and we have not done a pan of the system yet - the groomers are NOT running right now. I am planning on a panning mission just to clear trees over teh coming days. You could ride from here, but I think you should head further North at this time.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Snow VP
Administrator

Big shout out to Tim B. up in Trout Lake who trimmed up the big tree so people could get under it a couple days ago.

And also a huge thank you to Kenny who took me up to cut that and another tree off the trail. That was a monster that came down but we get it all taken care of.

There are some tree issues on the Caffey. I will be dispatching the groomer that direction to push them off the trail in the next 2 days.

Please be careful riding our system until things get cleared out.

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
raypa
Liquid Cooled

if the trails conditions don't change around st ignace by the 14th how far north would we have to drive to hit good snow to begin our backpack trip to munising then Houghton and back?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypa View Post
if the trails conditions don't change around st ignace by the 14th how far north would we have to drive to hit good snow to begin our backpack trip to munising then Houghton and back?
Right now I would start in Newberry. I have been here since Thursday and things are thin at best. I did ride from St Ignace but thatís done now. Even the town of Newberry is thin but as soon as you get North the snow machine is kicking. There was a ton of traffic this past week nd but nothing that a couple inches of good wet snow canít fix. Seeing your not coming till the 14th we have time for it to get good. If we could get 3 to 5 here in Iggy things would be good to go. Stay tuned and see what the weather does. Feel free to check back here or message me and I will answer anything you need. I am here every weekend and will give you the current conditions all around us.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Big shout out to TIm B. up in Trout Lake who trimmed up the big tree so people could get under it a couple days ago.

And also a huge thank you to Kenny who took me up to cut that and another tree off the trail. That was a monster that came down but we get it all taken care of.

There are some tree issues on teh Caffey. I will be dispatching the groomer that direction to push them off the trail in the next 2 days.

Please be careful riding our system until things get cleared out.
My pleasure Neil. Always willing to lend a hand when I can. Glad to get it taken care of. Thanks for all you do for us buddy.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread