Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Weather 12-21-17

Merry weekend before Christmas. You have 4 days to get your gifts bought, and only another 30 hours or so to do your on-line shopping and checkout with 2-day air shipping ! Slackers! (OK, I did most of my on-line stuff on Monday and it will be here tomorrow. Was even thinking about having them wrap it too... yes I know I am lazy!

Today is the first official day of winter, and the snow is beginning to fall. I love this date as we usually have some real winter weather and building the white Christmas, and more importantly it is teh shortest day of the year, which means that each day we are now gaining some of the all important daylight back! Going to work and coming home in the dark is so depressing this time of year, so I always look forward to some of that daily sun (when the snow is not falling!)

So onto the big headline, the 'storm' Well this morning it looks to be tracking much farther SOuth then the models showed last week, which means it is pulling teh precip farther to mid-michigan. OUr 4-5" forecast was dropped to 1-3" on most sites today, with the one I still think is the best showing a solid 4" for Iggy, but tapering off fairly quick going North, so Trout Lake may only get 1". The Storm tatal should be a sold 3" across our trails for the time being though. Next week is shaping up to be colder then normal, which means the Lake Effect will be gearing up on several days, with X-mas giving us another 1-2" shot from Santa.

My chosen forecast is below:

Quote:
Today Snow. High near 27. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
TonightSnow. Low around 23. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.
FridaySnow likely, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Friday NightA 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 25. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight.
SaturdayA 30 percent chance of snow showers after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. West wind 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday NightA 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.
SundaySnow showers likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday NightA chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11.
Christmas DaySnow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.
Monday NightA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
TuesdayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 13.
Tuesday NightA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.
Wednesday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.
So where does that leave us for Grooming? Well the warm up hurt us, no that teh trails are trashed, but it took just enough away that I don't want to eh send the groomers out right now. A storm of 5" may be worth is, but less then that probably not. That then runs us into a timing issue, we may only be getting enough snow right at Christmas, So I am not going to ask guys to take time away from their families until mid-next week. With the lack of snow and holiday that is now the timeframe for the first grooming run. Trails are not in good enough shape as of yet, but again we are gaining and may be in good shape for mid-next week and New Years.

Stay tuned and I will get you updated as I gather more info.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Bill
Trail Master

Default Re: Weather 12-21-17

Thanks for the update
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Bah Humbug.
Scrooge.
Coal.
All weathermen to the naughty list.

Less then an inch in Iggy. most of teh snow went South of us.
Going to be cold for x-mas, and only some lake effect in the forecast.

Back to our holding pattern.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
snopro7c
Trail Master

ha..no surprise. The usual is mid January anymore. I cant remember the last time I was able to ride in December. Thing of the past that's for sure. So yes bah humbug

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
ski-doo
Liquid Cooled

Rode 50miles around brevort today, thin but better than not ridding. More snow once you get a few miles inland. Anyone know how long the logging is going to last headed north from brevort to trout lake? Was tore up past the corner to #2 to rexton.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
indootime
Trail Master

Looks like a little more snow fell!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS SNOW IN IGGY!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Snowing like crazy downstate here. Hope Iggy is getting some! Need some snow to get out of town. Seen reports in GM and Seney and they say itís great riding right now.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Thumbs up Re: Weather 12-21-17

HOPING SO.... I KNOW THER IS 8 INCHES IN REXTON TASA HAS GROOMED (PANNED) DOWN TO US TWICE AND GETS BETTER THE FARTHER NORTH... ALSO SAW 5 TO 7 INCHES ICE IN CURTIS..WE ARE LEAVING TOMORROW NIGHT... JUST HOPEING TO RIDE IGGY TRAILS BY MID WEEK HAVE FRIENDS STAYING AT BOBBYS PLACE BUT RIDING FROM REXTON WITH US...
Old 12-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Wink
Trail Master

We'll be pulling into the Super 8 Thursday night. Hoping to ride out of Iggy but we'll trailer if we have to.
Friday night I plan on being planted on a bar stool at Timmy Lee's watching the Buckeyes.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #11
indootime
Trail Master

We plan to be up too, sure hope Mother Nature allows us to ride out of Brevort.
Closed Thread