Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-08-17

Well it has been an up & down couple of weeks that is for sure. For me, up & down 15-18 foot waves in the Caribbean, for those around here that typical spring weather roller-coaster. I was thinking about mowing the yard when I left, and while I was gone a huge thank you to my groomer drivers for pulling together and getting the 10-12" snow-storm groomed up for last weekend riding. (Does this mean you no longer need me?!)

Now what you all want to know is what has happened since the perfect trail conditions last weekend. Lots. Lots of wind. Lots of warm weather. and lots of rain. We did get a thunderstorm here in the straits, and it was 52d in Iggy yesterday. From what I can see we have lost about everything that the storm brought in, and maybe then some with the high angle of the sun. Groomer drivers are kinda scattered right now, so it is tough to get a decent report on what is happening everywhere, but from what I can piece together is this: Generally you can ride – North of the Burma Grade which is right in the middle of our system - everything South is done. Generally you can't ride out of Iggy, Moran, and Bobby called to to say Epoufette is toast without more snow - that usually means Brevort is done too, at least Schoolhouse road - so you would need to trailer to the woods. I do not have current info for Trout Lake, but I know Huckleberry Road connecting the Truck Trail to the RR Grade will likely be burnt off too with the plowing they were doing this year.

It sounds like it is getting to that time of year. We usually store snow on the sides of the trails to grab and save you 2 weekends in March - but mother nature has not allowed that at all this year. There just isn't enough to work with right now. I know the trails will be flat for the most part out in the core, and in the woods, so I don't even see a reason to run the groomer out that way. I do know that we have had big big winds over the last tow days. One report had a gust on the Mackinac Bridge over 80 mph. That mans there may be trees down out there too. I am not currently planning on sending a crew out to do brushing unless the groomer is going to run – so if you do ride, please be aware of the fallen tree situation.

Pity, because the weekend forecast is actually good from snowmobiling. Temps will be cool and everything will be frozen again tonight. There is some snow in the forecast, but only 1-2” or so over the next 48 hours. The rest of March is rumored to be slightly below normal temps (which should be right around freezing) and slightly above normal precip. Does that mean we still have a shot? I guess but it is going to take another decent snow-storm to bring us back at this point.
I do not plan on running the Iggy groomer again unless we get 5”+ of new snow. I don’t yet have a decision on the Northern section, we are going to have to get a recon out to see if it is worth the diesel fuel. If there is enough snow, and you can actually go somewhere, then we will groom that area as needed – as as long as there is somewhere to ride to/from.

Well that is it. I always post up all of the info that I have. I’m back. Wish I had better news for you, but it seems like our end of the season is creeping up on us fast then we would like.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 3-08-17

Yep last weekend was awesome, me and AllSeason trailered to Brevort on Sunday morning and took a ride over to Rudyard and back, covering most of the West/North trail system.

Fast and flat the whole way, couldn't get much better...

This see-saw weather sure is frustrating...
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-08-17

Seems like winter around here. It is cold. Supposed to be single digits overnight. Everything is frozen up nicely again. Just a trace of snow overnight, and the wind is howling. Supposed to get 1.5" over on Saturday. Maybe they will get it wrong and we will get more?
Closed Thread