Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-09-17

Trails are in really good shape out there, except areas where they are not. Let me explain better, most of our trails have less then 12” of compacted snow on them, but they are in really good shape with an ice base, and good riding snow that is groomed up very well.

Now, we didn’t get much out of the Tuesday ‘storm’, so we have the same problems out there as the past few weeks – with a bit of good news mixed in. First off, the old RR yard parking are North of the ice rink is extremely thin. If you park there, then pick your way up the sides or just tough it out, and things are much better when you get to the I-75 overpass. Then going North on Trail #2, you will have 4 areas in the open that are snow covered, but have rocks poking through. Nothing we can do with that right now, they are about 100’ long each – just skip over them. Also, the South several miles of Trail #471 was being plowed for logging. It was ice, but now has some gravel on it. Without new snow, unfortunately it will suck. Good news is I made a deal with the road commission, and they are going to stop plowing about 2/3 of what they were plowing before, and only do what is necessary for the loggers. So for about 1 mile both West and South of the Castle Rock / Round Lake road intersections it will be plowed.

Now I know a lot of you know exactly what I am talking about here, but many don’t so today’s trail candy is a map of the problem areas. I have indicated the area they were plowing, and the area that they will prow in the future on there. You will notice that everything North of Moran is good to go, so don’t overthink it and conclude that you can’t ride this area, you will have a great time.

Also, as you may recall, the weather sites I was checking were split on Tuesdays storm, some were going with 5”+, but the one I trust was 1-2”. Well we got about 1”. Now lets talk forecasted snow. Everybody is saying that our whole trail system will get snow on Friday. Some are showing only 1”, however the one I trust, the one that has been the most right all season is showing us getting a solid 3” from Iggy to Trout Lake. It is supposed ot have decent water content, we will be good to go for sure everywhere.

Remember the Bent Ski Classic adventure run is this Saturday, so come on out and have fun with the whole family. The weather forecast is fantastic for riding this weekend. I will be at the trail stop at the Northern intersection of Trails #2 & #471. Hope to see you there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Problems Map.jpg (49.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
xmxzx
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-09-17

Thanks for the update and map that is very helpful.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
jrutkow1
I'm New Here

Thanks for the update. Staying at the Super 8 this weekend. Doing the snow dance for snow.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmxzx View Post
Thanks for the update and map that is very helpful.
Welcome to the site.

Don~
Old 02-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Bill
Trail Master

We are on a saddle bag trip, the railroad grade from Trout Lake to the I-75 bridge over pass was very good. Only a few rocks poking thru at hay lake but only for about 1/4 mile. As usual, the Straits trails are in great shape, THANK YOU to Neil and the crew!!!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
We are on a saddle bag trip, the railroad grade from Trout Lake to the I-75 bridge over pass was very good. Only a few rocks poking thru at hay lake but only for about 1/4 mile. As usual, the Straits trails are in great shape, THANK YOU to Neil and the crew!!!
Double grooming run on the grade last night must have done a better job then I thought it would. Great to hear. Bring on the 3" for tomorrow!!!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutkow1 View Post
Thanks for the update. Staying at the Super 8 this weekend. Doing the snow dance for snow.
Welcome to the site.

Don~
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Wink
Trail Master

Just took a quick ride up to Trout Lake for dinner. Trails were even better than I expected. As Neil said, a couple thin spots on the grade. They are easy to see coming, wide open areas that are wind swept. Made it to the Burma grade with no problem, then awesome running over to the truck trail and up to Trout Lake. Trails wee flat and fast.

We rode from the Super 8 without any issues. A little thin in places but I've ridden a lot worse. The warmest I saw on my temp gauge was 177. Not bad at all.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 02-09-2017, 11:08 PM   #9
xmxzx
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Just took a quick ride up to Trout Lake for dinner. Trails were even better than I expected. As Neil said, a couple thin spots on the grade. They are easy to see coming, wide open areas that are wind swept. Made it to the Burma grade with no problem, then awesome running over to the truck trail and up to Trout Lake. Trails wee flat and fast.

We rode from the Super 8 without any issues. A little thin in places but I've ridden a lot worse. The warmest I saw on my temp gauge was 177. Not bad at all.
Did you take 471 to The Burma grade? Was worried about the spot Neil said they are plowing. How many miles are they plowing on 471?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutkow1 View Post
Welcome to the site. Another home town guy! I live in Newport. I will be at the trailstop on Sat. Make sure to stop and say hello.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmxzx View Post
Did you take 471 to The Burma grade? Was worried about the spot Neil said they are plowing. How many miles are they plowing on 471?
Welcome to the site. Stay off 471 unless we get this snow today. Wink took the RR grade to the Burma grade and then followed that up to Trout Lake. Your good to go that way.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Wink
Trail Master

Thanks for saving me the typing Kenny, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night.

If I was going to be around here I would help you burn those dogs and burgers!!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 02-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Thanks for saving me the typing Kenny, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night.

If I was going to be around here I would help you burn those dogs and burgers!!!!!
It's all good buddy. You guys have a safe trip and have fun. Keep the rubber side down. #stignacedoocrew
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
Snow VP
Administrator

The snow is just arriving at 9am.

Weather channel says 1-3"

NOAA is a solid 3" - and they were correct on the last several storms.

9-10 News is actually calling for 3-5"

For some reason I was like a little kid on Christmas this morning, had my nose plastered to the window watching the sun rise, thinking no snow yet But radar says it's on the way.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
AmyG
Junior Rider

Woo Hoo!! We'll definitely take a solid 3" but a little more would be nice too!! We're on our way up this afternoon....can't wait!!!
Closed Thread