Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-06-17

A nice Sunday surprise over the weekend. No not the squares paying out for the Super Bowl, Sunday morning we awoke to a fresh 4-6” over the straits trail system. That fixed some things up nicely. Yours truly was out breaking some trail on the South ½ of the system, and the trails were in fantastic shape – with the except of those problem areas from last week. The lake effect snow wasn’t enough to cover up those rocks, so you are still getting the clicking on the skis through there. The other trails were great.

So the same problem areas are there, trail #2 out of Iggy has a few low snow areas, and they are plowing #471 for the Southern several miles for logging so that is very thin.

The forecast is coming into better focus, but there is still disagreement across the 5 places that I check. Some are calling for 1-3” on Tuesday night, some are in the 5-8” range. The sleet line is all the way up to Indian River now, so if we get it it will be a wet snow – just what we need. Groomers are running today/tonight to get ready for that storm, and will run again on Wednesday to process that snow. I hope to go on a more regular schedule after that.

Remember, this weekend is the Bent Ski Classic. Bent Ski Classic
Our version of a clue hunt/poker run. Make sure you check it out. It will be a great time for the whole family. Check out our trails and a few interesting spots on our trail system. There will be a trail stop in the middle of our system so you can stop and meet me and some groomer drivers. It is free to register and there will be prizes. Hope to see you this weekend!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-06-17

So at this point I still don't have any idea. The only thing that we can agree on is it is windy as heck.

Want to know what this storm will do? Toss a dart, cause I think that is what the experts are doing. 1/2 are still saying 3-6" of snow, but the troubling ones are the ones I usually trust are in the 1" range. Schools are closed from Gaylord to Mackinaw City - I guess for possible ice this afternoon. Did the kids get a free day, or did they guess right? Time will tell.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
A nice Sunday surprise over the weekend. No not the squares paying out for the Super Bowl, Sunday morning we awoke to a fresh 4-6” over the straits trail system. That fixed some things up nicely. Yours truly was out breaking some trail on the South ½ of the system, and the trails were in fantastic shape – with the except of those problem areas from last week. The lake effect snow wasn’t enough to cover up those rocks, so you are still getting the clicking on the skis through there. The other trails were great.

So the same problem areas are there, trail #2 out of Iggy has a few low snow areas, and they are plowing #471 for the Southern several miles for logging so that is very thin.

The forecast is coming into better focus, but there is still disagreement across the 5 places that I check. Some are calling for 1-3” on Tuesday night, some are in the 5-8” range. The sleet line is all the way up to Indian River now, so if we get it it will be a wet snow – just what we need. Groomers are running today/tonight to get ready for that storm, and will run again on Wednesday to process that snow. I hope to go on a more regular schedule after that.

Remember, this weekend is the Bent Ski Classic. Bent Ski Classic
Our version of a clue hunt/poker run. Make sure you check it out. It will be a great time for the whole family. Check out our trails and a few interesting spots on our trail system. There will be a trail stop in the middle of our system so you can stop and meet me and some groomer drivers. It is free to register and there will be prizes. Hope to see you this weekend!
Did you guys catch this? He was actually out riding Had a good time with ya buddy. You need to get out more often. If it wasn't the Superbowl we would have stayed out
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

Only 1" of snow last night.

Next opportunity looks to be a few inches on Friday.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
xmxzx
I'm New Here

Planning on riding out of downtown St. Ignace tomorrow and Saturday. We usually take the trail from downtown to trail 471 and up to Trout Lake. I know it is going to be thin in some areas but I am better off just trailering up to Trout Lake?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmxzx View Post
Planning on riding out of downtown St. Ignace tomorrow and Saturday. We usually take the trail from downtown to trail 471 and up to Trout Lake. I know it is going to be thin in some areas but I am better off just trailering up to Trout Lake?
Your fine riding out of town but stay off 471. Take the RR grade to the Burma grade trail 2. It's the 1st trail to the left after Moran. It's marked. That will put you back in the woods and take you to Trout lake. The 471 trail is being plowed. Now if we get this snow today like we're supposed to you will be ok riding 471 hopefully as we supposedly have something worded out with the road commission on the plowing
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread