Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-07-16

From everything that I heard, trails were in fantastic shape over the weekend - best all year, and people absolutely enjoyed themselves throughout. That most likely was the last hurrah, and if you are not out railing today, the forecast is calling out the fat lady for sure. Trails are turning to mashed potatoes today, and they are not really calling for temps below freezing anytime soon. In fact at least 2 forecasts I watched, said Friday night was the last accumulating snow that will will get this season, and Saturday night is the coldest that it will get until next winter. Sounds crazy that we are done on the first weekend on March, but that is where all the signs point right now.

Currently lots of soft mushy stuff on the trails, water holes are starting to form and the South 1/2 of the RR grade is about done. You probably will be able to ride in the woods for a bit longer, depending on the amount of rain we get tomorrow night. I truly think the grooming is all done for the season. It will be interesting to work up the final numbers to see what we got, it very well could be the worst mileage year we have ever had - even though our trails were in really good shape for quite a while. If you think about it we really only have 6 weeks of winter weather, and that was pot marked with warm-ups and rain here and there.

It is possible to get another cold shot and a big storm - would not rule that out for this crazy state. In the meantime, shine up the sleds, order pre-season on the boats and be ready at the drop of a hat.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-07-16

Thanks Neil and say the same to your drivers. It was certainly a disappointing year as far as length and snow totals. As usual though, the Straits trails were great. You guys do an amazing job. Thanks just doesn't say enough.

I only got 3 trips in this year, probably my lowest in over 20 years but this past weekend was a great one.

Looking forward to getting Todd back on the trail next year, and maybe a guest appearance from the one and only GRIZ!!!!!!!

Now, bring on the Car Show!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Bill
Trail Master

Totally agree with Wink, what a team Neil and his groomer drivers are! Even with marginal conditions, you don't have to wonder what the trail conditions will be like. Words can't express my appreciation for you guys. A BIG THANK YOU!!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Absolutely agree with Randy and Bill.

St. Ignace trails are by far and away the best in the State, and I have ridden most of them.

Many thanks to all the men and women that dedicate their time efforts and I'm sure some of their own money to make snowmobiling the St. Ignace area a joy for all............

Don~
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
conniver04
Trail Master

I agree with everyone above. This season I rode the entire UP and I can say that the only other club that came close was Seney. I think we need to start a new reality show "Groomer Wars"...hmmmm...

With the season coming to a close with this warm weather I can say I had a pretty decent year and had a ton of fun in the Straits Area. I sure wish it would have lasted longer, and I would have gotten a bit more riding in but all in all I will take it.

Neil, The time and effort you put into this thing is amazing and the group of drivers you have assembled is awesome. Then throw in the bunch of dedicated
riders like us that chip in from time to time and guest groomers and thats what makes our club so great. Now get 2 more drivers and take over that abused trail like you should Keep up the great work and don't get too big of head from all these compliments...
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
indootime
Trail Master

I bought a new sled this season with the idea of being able to put lots of miles on it. A lousy season of snow did not stop me from doing just that. I did manage to put lots of miles on the new sled traveling all over the U.P. and I must say I could not wait to get back to the the Straits Trails.

Another year of perfect trails in the Straits System. I am happy to call these trails "Home"!

Thank you,

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1997 - Copy.jpg (22.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2020 - Copy.JPG (67.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

I agree with all above posts we finally got a place this spring in Rexton...Very happy to call straits area home...Thanks again to all..Me and family would be glad to help with any brush clearing or whatever we can do to help out...Thanks again
Closed Thread