Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-15-16

1/2 way through February and the same story, good news with cold weather with a warm-up on the horizon. It was a fantastic sledding weekend in the Straits system with near perfect trails and average-lower traffic, even though it was a holiday weekend. The St. Ignace 10th annual pond hockey weekend was pulled off without any major hitches in large part to by far the coldest temps of the season. In fact I will venture to say we have seen the coldest that we will all season and it will be moderate from here on out.

A big thank you to a guest Groomer Nick W. for taking a day off riding and coming in to drive the Southern loop on Saturday. He did a great job, and we welcome him back anytime. He and his family do a ton for our club by brushing & signing 50 miles of trails every season - without asking for anything. Thanks again Nick!!

The trails this week are going to stay in great shape. Some areas are getting very thing, namely #2 out of St. Ignace at Hay Lake and in Moran. Ice on hay lake, and Moran has some rocks. Total about 2 miles of issues, everything else is in A-#1 top notch condition. Here is the issue. 5 day forecast is calling for a warm-up this coming weekend - a moderately major one, with rain on Friday and above freezing temps on saturday and sunday. Lets hope they miss the forecast and Friday is snow. We haven't had any decent snow in weeks, but keep plugging away at it and you can ride great trails right from here.

This weekend is youth pond hockey in St. Ignace. With the weather, not sure what is going to happen, if you want a room you better call now, most hotels especially with pools are sold out. Give it a shot and if you get a room you may be the only one on the trail! St. Ignace full? Stay with groomer Bob out in Epoufette! He grooms the trails and his family has a motel just 1/2 out of of Iggy.

Lets keep it going, we still have a few weeks of good sledding out there!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
conniver04
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-15-16

This past weekend was awesome. The town was packed with people for pond hockey. Great trails everywhere and a bit cold but I will take it over what they are showing for this coming weekend. Lets hope they are a bit off and it stays cold and snows. It snowed all weekend but not alot. I had to clean off the seat and gauges after every stop but nothing major.

I think mother nature has a problem with the buckeye fans this season. Every week they are heading UP she decides to warm things up. I think she is showing how much she likes Harbaugh's recruiting What you think Julie?
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
db26
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-11-16

Hi guys,

Been a lurker on this site as well. Our group sets up camp in Ignace twice a season typically.

I need some advice on how you anticipate the trails to hold up this coming weekend with the warm temps predicted. I know this is a crap shoot, but I need some convincing. We were planning on being in Ignace on Saturday 2/20 through Tuesday 2/23. It looks like it is going to be near 40 on Friday and Saturday and the overnight lows are predicted to be above freezing. Temps appear to drop off on Sunday through the following week.

So the question is, should we shift our travel plans to sunday- Wednesday in hopes the trails will be better and be able to be groomed with the colder over night temps? Its a 7 hour drive for us and we want to make the best of it.

Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Nytroglycerin
I'm New Here

Heading up to Trout Lake tomorrow until Sunday. I'll post how bad it gets on Friday
Old 02-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

DB: If you can push your trip - with the forecast I am reading, I would. With the forecast temps, I likely will not groom on Friday night, especially if it is going to rain, and be above freezing on Saturday. The key groom is to go while it is still wet, and dropping temps into freezing, and then having people stay off it - then you have fantastic trails. If it does rain on Friday, and above Sat-Sun, the trails will get tore up for sure with nothing I can do about it. I don't want to risk bringing gravel into a already thin base.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
PolarisRider
Trail Master

I read in earlier Trail Conditions post that the Cedarville connector is groomed once per week. Any chance you can let us know what day it is typically done? We use a lot and will avoid if it is not groomed in a while. It was very chopped up today all the way across - worse I have seen in a while. Cedarville had fresh groom up to Mac Tr. Everything else was pretty good all weekend.
- 05 600 Sabercat LX (it's the wife's - a deal I could not turn down)
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club
Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

We get it when I have an experienced guy that can go that direction - not a trail for a rookie to groom. I have 2 experienced guys out of Iggy out with medical right now. Hope to get one back any day and another in a couple weeks.

Typically once or twice a week is plenty for that trail as it gets 1/10 the traffic of the others. I will see what I can do to get someone out there, but I never promise nor publish a grooming schedule of any kind as that is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Attak06
Fan Cooled

Haha, thanks Neil! Glad I could help out.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
db26
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
DB: If you can push your trip - with the forecast I am reading, I would. With the forecast temps, I likely will not groom on Friday night, especially if it is going to rain, and be above freezing on Saturday. The key groom is to go while it is still wet, and dropping temps into freezing, and then having people stay off it - then you have fantastic trails. If it does rain on Friday, and above Sat-Sun, the trails will get tore up for sure with nothing I can do about it. I don't want to risk bringing gravel into a already thin base.
Thanks Neil! Was hoping you'd chime in. Still considering coming up sunday-Wednesday. Or, maybe the following week if the temps are projected to be below freezing like the extended forecast indicates.

Keep up the great work. We all appreciate your dedication to this forum,.hcs, and of course keeping your system in top shape!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
skidoodude04
Trail Master

This past weekend was absolute blast! The trails were beautiful and again I was reassured that our system is by far the best around! Went to Manistique with hopes of hitting Big Springs but a huge vintage ride forced us to abort mission. Headed up to Shingleton and then over to Seney and back thru Curtis to Trout Lake. Can tell your back home soon as you get on the Straits Trails! Keep up the great work Neil and Drivers! Let the cold air poor in and the white stuff fly!! See you Friday!!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisRider View Post
I read in earlier Trail Conditions post that the Cedarville connector is groomed once per week. Any chance you can let us know what day it is typically done? We use a lot and will avoid if it is not groomed in a while. It was very chopped up today all the way across - worse I have seen in a while. Cedarville had fresh groom up to Mac Tr. Everything else was pretty good all weekend.
PolarisRider: Groomer is headed your way today. I was mistaken on the last date that trail was groomed, and yes it was neglected some. Getting it fixed now.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
PolarisRider
Trail Master

Thanks, Neil. I think in the 10 years or more we've ridden over to Straits side (most weekends), this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I recall it being choppy .... and it seems like every time is when we have the wives out with us. HA That is a nice trail thru there and I can see where it would be tight with the big Deere's. Dave
- 05 600 Sabercat LX (it's the wife's - a deal I could not turn down)
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club
Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
polaris4me
Trail Master

Been on the trails the last two days and 99% are very good . Friday and the weekend may not be good for the trails. Will have to see how much if any rain we get here. Then temps near 40 will make some of the trails very thin.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Closed Thread