Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-04-16

Temps have cooled just a bi, and should be OK through the weekend. Things are looking pretty good around here, and I am going to rate the trails at very-good, almost excellent condition. Groomers got the heavy wet snow from Wednesday packed down and are reporting very few problems. Only thing to note is it is still pretty thin both in Moran and on the pipeline South of Brevort Lake, so leaving Iggy you will have to deal with one or the other. Both are still completely passable you may see some rocks in Moran or sand on the pipeline.

This is I-500 weekend, so expect some transient traffic, especially on Saturaday. The North Ice rink lot is closed for the next couple of weeks, so if you park in the South lot, then do so intelligently. If you run out of room you may park along the side of Ojibewa Trail, just NE of that lot, or along Cheeseman Road, which goes under the overpass. The Starline RR Dock on across from the Shell downtown would also be OK to park in for the day.

We do have some logging going on, but it isn't really effecting us. They are plowing the entirety of Castle Rock road, (the Southeast end of #471) and the Eastern Mile of the Burma grade (Trail #2, at #47) and maybe a mile right in the middle of the Cut River Trail, between Brevort & Epoufette (#473 near the Prout Rd). (You can pick out these areas on V&V Maps on MSA Site: http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/miSn...gnace_1748.pdf

Coming up for the weekend, then consider helping out Groomer Bob and stay at the Skyline Motel in Epoufette, 30 minutes West of St. Ignace.
http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...2873#post12873

WARNING:Many of you know that pond hockey in St. Ignace is coming up in a few weeks. Mother nature has not cooperated at all, consequently the organizers may be building rinks around and North of the Ice Rink in St. Ignace. PLEASE STAY OFF any are being prepped for hockey, it is a huge deal in this town, and it is going to be tough to pull it off as it is, without people trashing the rinks during construction. The rinks may be partially built onto the trail North of the Ice rink. There will be a very short re-route around and in-between the rinks, please follow the barrels and STAY ON TRAIL!!!!!

Today's pics I am recycling from yesterday case they are so cool, thanks to Groomer Wayne for snow-paving the RR Grade yesterday:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail.jpg (40.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg trail 1.jpg (85.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
doonteatyellowsnow
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-04-16

Heading up tomorrow morning. Is it pretty explanatory where not to park? I want to be sure I don't park in an area that still needs to be marked.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

DEYS: You can park next to eh other trucks in the South lot. Just turn at NAPA and up the little hill, you will see them.

Sorry for not getting the South loop groomed last night, groomer is needed to work the pond hockey area. All trails will get groomed up tonight and tomorrow night.

As a bonus, a surprise 1" of pow this morning.

Enjoy the weekend riding!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

NOTICE
The ice rink parking lot is about full, park in the starline RR Dock parking lot across from the downtown shell station / post office in downtown St. Ignace. Pick up the trail at the laundromat, and head North.

OR
Park along Cheeseman road just East of I-75

OR
Park on Castle Rock road intersection with the RR Grade #2 trail out of town. Castle Rock Rd is plowed this year. Access near the Cast Rock (Northern I-75) interchange.
Closed Thread