Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-03-16

Huge winter storm Kayla... ya right. Last week some places were predicting 1-3 feet, a few days ago, everyone was getting 8", then 6" even last night they were still saying 5", well Iggy got around 3", and Moran, TL and most of the EUP got 4". The only good news is that is the wettest snow I have seen in 2 years - probably the amount forecast problem, as it is still misting/raining right now. Schools are closed as there is lots of ice under the snow from bottom melting. I don't want to sound negative, cause this snow is packing in like crazy - Wayne is in the groomer right now doing the grade. It isn't cold enough to set though, so I almost want to say stay off the trail today and let it setup tonight then it will be good to go until we get 40d days.

This snow will set the trails quite well. All of the areas with snow will be in very good - almost excellent condition starting tomorrow. Moran and the pipeline will still be thin, but look much much better then 24 hours ago. Planning on getting another groom in later tonight on most of the trails to get them set for the coming weekend.

Pond Hockey Update:
TRAIL WARNING
There is currently no good lake ice around the area, and the organizers are going to attempt to create rinks at the ice rink parking lot. There will be a winding trail through the area, and you must stay on the marked trail and off the ice rinks! It is going to be very difficult to get the rinks built before the tourney, so please help out, and stay where you belong!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
doonteatyellowsnow
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-03-16

Thank you for the update. Sounds like everything should be ideal by Friday morning.

Regarding parking at the trail head behind the ice rink, is there still going to be space available to park there? That was my drop point.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Update from the groomer.
Wayne said all of the trails he did are excellent, with the exception of Moran. Snow blew off the trail in that area, and a little thin in Hay Lake, so for the 101 miles of our trail system, I am guessing that we have about 2 bad miles.

DEYS: yes you can park in the Southern ice rink lot this weekend. Next weekend, I would recommend one of 2 things: Park along the side of Cheeseman road, or, park on Castle Rock road, at the RR Grade trail crossing, since the USFS is plowing Castle Rock this winter. If they pull off pond hockey, all of the ice rink lots should be used for that - which will be the weekend of the 13th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0369.jpg (85.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0 (5).jpg (40.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
sjmcphail
Liquid Cooled

Hey guys, we're in St. Ignace right now, trailered and rode out of Newberry today but looking forward to the Straits trails tomorrow. Quick question...is everything frozen over toward Cedarville? We're thinking about heading up to Soo through there but wanted to make sure all was frozen. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #5
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmcphail View Post
Hey guys, we're in St. Ignace right now, trailered and rode out of Newberry today but looking forward to the Straits trails tomorrow. Quick question...is everything frozen over toward Cedarville? We're thinking about heading up to Soo through there but wanted to make sure all was frozen. Thanks!
I haven't been that way this year. I know the other club that way was having a bunch of trouble this season. I was in the Soo last weekend and I know its good to go if you go up through Strongs to Raco. Have a great ride.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Well its my Friday. Work for a couple hours and then headed north. See everyone this weekend and have a great ride!
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread