Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-14-2016

They should be all good to go. Things are thin, but covered and ridable. Iggy got another 2" yesterday, and the winner was Moran with 6" fresh powder. Powder being the operative word here, everything we have on the ground is pretty much lake effect, so all of that powder will groomed down at a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio. The trails have between 2 and 4" of base, and like I said everything is snowcovered and passable. On the level I am hearing about 7" in Iggy, 10" in Moran, 12" in Brevort, 6" in Epoufette and 10" in Trout Lake.

Trail issues: The pipeline portion is pretty thin, you will have to hunt snow a little, the remaining water hole show freeze tonight. The are logging, and plowing a 1.5 mile section in the middle of the cut river trail, the beginning of the Cedarville trail by 123 may be plowed (push-pull road) and here is the heart breaker, they opened up castle road road yesterday for a logging operation. I do not know how long they will be in there. We are being connected to by TASA and Snowchasers on the North and West, I have not heard about Ceaderville getting to I-75 yet, their swamps were mostly unfroze a few days ago, use caution or check with them before heading East.

Both tractors are getting maintenance today, so no grooming until Friday, where we should have the whole system covered. Probably will run again Sunday if needed, or we get some decent snow.

Weather should be nice and chilly, in the teens for the weekend and 20s next week. Expecting 1-4" on Friday night, and maybe some more on Monday. The last couple of days we have finally seen some ice in the bay. It freezes at night, and moves out during the day with the ferry traffic. Pond hockey players are holding their breath and awaiting the plan-b info if needed.

Not much time for pics today, so you get a depth shot from my front yard, and a quick shot leaving Iggy. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160114_100209.jpg (71.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20160114_104855.jpg (167.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-14-2016

Where abouts are they on Castle Rock Rd?

The last few years is the most logging I have seen in our area since I've been coming UP there.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 01-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Don't know. I heard they have permission to plow the whole thing.

More bad news: The plowed the Eastern section of the Burma Grade today.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Wink
Trail Master

If it's the section I'm thinking of, it's wide enough that they could have left snow on one side.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quick Update:

FREEZING RAIN. Everything is coated with 1/8" of ice this morning. Wayne took the groomer at 5am, said it was 17d with rain freezing on contact. Trail from Iggy to Moran came out like a paved road, with a few thin spots especially just south of Moran.

Groomer Bob road a sled from Moran to Epoufette last night said he did not hit any rocks anywhere.

Forecast for this area is the same throughout the day, with this drizzle turning to snow this afternoon. 2-4" expected by noon tomorrow.

If you are driving anywhere today, please be extra careful, looks like lots of freezing rain especially in the Central lower today.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Groomers are reporting that the snow is quite variable in depth even in small areas, from 12" in one place to 4" just down the trail.

RR Grade is smashing down enough that a few rocks are poking through. I don't thing the grade is going to hold a ton of traffic this weekend.

In the meantime it is still misting/snowing here, with little accumulation.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Wink
Trail Master

Neil, there are a lot of readers on here that might not know the trails by the road names. Is there anyway you could post a map and highlight those areas of logging. Just thought it might help some of those who don't come UP so frequently.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Surprise 6" of snow, with a few more coming tonight.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Neil, there are a lot of readers on here that might not know the trails by the road names. Is there anyway you could post a map and highlight those areas of logging. Just thought it might help some of those who don't come UP so frequently.
X2 on that suggestion.

I come up once or twice a year and am not familiar with some of the road names you guys use.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys/gals do all year in maintaining the Straits area trails. They are without question the best that we have ever ridden, and we ride all over.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
25s94r8
Junior Rider

Coming U.P. next weekend and trying decide where to stay. Wondering if the access trail to the Shell station has been opened up yet. Thanks for all you do - looking forward to riding your awesome trails!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25s94r8 View Post
Coming U.P. next weekend and trying decide where to stay. Wondering if the access trail to the Shell station has been opened up yet. Thanks for all you do - looking forward to riding your awesome trails!
Stay at the Super 8. The trail is accessible with no problem. It has snowed almost everyday the last few days. Trails are great.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread