Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-07-16

Todays trail conditions is more of a weather forecast.
First, yes our trails are covered with snow, average around 2". It is all soft at this point, water holes are not frozen from the last forecast, and the trail base is not yet bonded to the gravel. What does that mean? You can go out and ride, you will have enough snow to cool the sleds. It will also mean that you will be cutting down to the dirt with your skis in many areas and you will be hitting rocks in the gravel areas, along with pulling dirt and rocks into the existing snow. What we need is some cold weather, which is coming.

I don't think that it got below freezing in the last 30 hours, and it is supposed to be warm for the next couple of days. Below freezing temps will return sometime Sunday. Precip will be coming in Friday night a little, and mostly Saturday during the day, which is expected to be rain. They say it will change over to snow on Saturday evening, but the temps don't show that until sometime Sunday. The rain is expected to change over to snow with amounts of 1-3 on Monday and another shot on Tuesday.

What does this mean? Trails are going to be super soft and saturated until Sunday evening. Any traffic is going to just tear things up. If you are in the area and want to ride, get you miles in when you can this year. If you are thinking about making a trip to get here, I would suggest that you sit this weekend out. I don't want to sound like the base police, but any traffic is just going to really tear things up and mix dirt with the snow we have, which will make it tougher down the road. We are planning on running the groomers at some time over the weekend, probably on Sunday afternoon trying to catch the temps and snow at just the right time to flatten everything down and let the base freeze smooth. Then the new 1-3 on Monday and hopefully Tuesday will provide a good to great trail setting us up for the season.

In a season when I believe that you should ride when you have the time and opportunity, it is tough to say be patient, but that is what I recommend for this coming weekend. I just do not want anyone to show up to ride and be disappointed. Again, riding is possible, just remember there is pretty much zero base right now and the 2-3" of snow you will be riding on will be soft.

Hopefully we will limp through this weekend, and be raring to go next weekend after some really cold temps in the forecast! January is here, bring on the cold and snow!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-07-16

Thanks Neil. See ya in two weeks!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Trails are toast done should be closed.

It rained all night amd hasnt gotten below freezing in 2 days. Stay off the trails if at all possible.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
zr900efi
Liquid Cooled

Is it snowing up there yet?
Old 01-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Got about 4" of light stuff in Iggy. No reports on the outside yet. Everybody is taking a lazy Sunday.
Closed Thread