Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-29-15

Our area is digging out from the big wind - snow storm. Storm totals are tough to figure with all the wind, we got bare spots, and 3' drifts. The snow was decent, and for the most part the trails sound covered, 5-6" in Iggy, 8" in Moran, heard 10" in Trout Lake and Epoufette.

With all the winds, we need to check the trails for trees. A few local sleds have made a trip. We are not ready for a big influx of sleds, but I think we will be in decent shape in a few days.

Talking to my drivers to get a handle on when we can get things packed down.
Check for updates tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-29-15

We have sled riders going out this morning to look at most of the trail, and at least one groomer, maybe both will be going out middle afternoon. I will give a report when I get it, but a full update will likely come in the morning.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

OK, got a bit of info.
Snow has settled a little, especially North and west of here. Iggys was more wet, West was more dry.

Groomer left at lunchtime for Trout Lake, then returning on the West side of the loops. The snow is packing down to about 2.5" on the trail. It isn't bonded to the gravel yet, so any sled traffic is gonna tear it up pretty quick, and pretty bad. Perfect white base right now, sled traffic is gonna turn it rocky and brown quickly. The few sleds that are out right now are having a ball though, except for....

TREES! the wind storm took down a bunch or trees. Right now they are down on the dam rd, pipeline, borland, burma and cut river trails. We will not get them all cleaned today, that is for sure. There is hours and hours of cutting to do. The groomer should get the ones on its route (thanks Dave!) and Jimmy D w/cousin Kenny are working a monster tree stack out by Epoufette. FYI: I am hearing all the other surrounding clubs are cutting trees right now too.

If you are out riding, please be very careful. If you are in the area and want to help out, please cut some trees that are in the trail, even if you only cut them and prep them for the groomer to push out of the way when it get there, that would be a huge help.

As expected, any water holes are not frozen, but overall things could be a lot worse. We have about 1/2 approaching 3/4 of the system checked right now. I will report back when I know more.

Last edited by Snow VP : 12-30-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
conniver04
Trail Master

Smile Re: Trail Conditions 12-29-15

What a day. I did more brushing today then back in Oct. lol. Be careful lots of trees down. Trails are rideable but with any traffic they will be gone quick. Great start just need more. Big shout out to Jimmy from the Super 8. Called in a trail blockage and within a hour he was there with chain saw in hand. That my friends is why I recommend anyone to the Super 8. It was a Tues afternoon and he dropped what he was doing to help out the trail system. Can't say enough good about that guy and proud to call him a good friend. On the same subject big shout out to Neil for staying on top of everything going on and helping coordinate all the clean up effort. I just love this club,!! If your coming up be sure t say hello. Happy New Year. Let it snow!

Btw the new ride is awesome
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Wink
Trail Master

Glad you like the ride Kenny.

I agree, Jimmy and Neil both go above and beyond. Our group always appreciates their efforts. I know Neil has absolutely nothing to gain from his work.

Looking forward to seeing my UP north friends next week!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Riding was not bad but not good by any means. Did cut down a monster tree with Jimmy and Dad. Sun looks like it melted quite a bit waking up this morning at the house. Need some snow before we head out again. Let it snow!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
snopro7c
Trail Master

Way it looks were coming UP regardless. I think were all getting stir crazy. I don't care if we only do 50 miles a day...good friends and cold beer is a lot better then being in Ohio.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread