Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-16-15

Last trail condition report for the season.
It was a fairly short term with trails this year, almost exactly 2 months of grooming, and when the numbers come in, probably looking at about 45% of a normal winters mileage. T hings turned out pretty good overall, little breakdowns, and a lot of new faces in the groomer spreading out the workload some this year - a great thing!

Weather was fairly cold, as once we got snow in January, it did not get above freezing again until last weekend. Cold temps, and few storms gave us only a little snow to work with, but we were still able to maintenance great trails almost all season.

As far as now, we only have 1 groomer run left, and that will be bringing the Brevort groomer back to Iggy sometime this week. It is supposed to get to 40d again today, and the crazy thing is the core of our trails are still in really good shape, with lots of snow and flat as a board, but the destinations are what is tough right now. Getting into all towns is going to require grinding where it is even possible. Moran will be done, Trout Lake it fairly tough, Brevort is bad, Iggy is not happening, and Epoufette has a new logging operation to deal with. Too much to deal with with too little benefit of trying to stretch it out over the next weekend - so time to close up the grooming operation.

If you wanted to ride the core of the system, and put some off trail miles in you would have a great time. That was the tale of several groups I talked with this weekend, some messed around in small areas and had a blast, others tried to destination ride and were kinda disappointed. I think as long as you realized it was late March riding, and probably your last ride of a short season you had a pretty good time, cause it all boils down to a sub-par day on a sled is loads better then a good day at work!

The forecast for the coming days is actually going to rain today, then a 1/2" of snow tonight. Coming days will being low 30s to upper 20s, and will very likely preserve alot of what snow we have, but conditions will slowly deteriorate. I would say we would be back in business with a 5" storm, but don't see that one in the 10 day, and then only a couple days left to the end of the month. If you really want to ride around our area in the next couple of days, then drop bad to Saturday's trail report to get what whole picture.

Other then that, it has been a great season, and many thanks to all of those who visited our little corner of the world. Many thinks to all of our volunteer groomer drivers for paving our snow roads again this season. Many thanks to all of the new drivers that came on board to help out, looking forward to having you around in the coming years. Many things to those from out-of-area that make the trip up to brush and sign the trails, without you guys we could not keep this system going.

So what is on tap next? Well our club is getting into the ATV program, so we will have a rare signing weekend sometime this spring to put up a few signs on the RR grade to Trout Lake. Just a pilot program really, and we should knock that out pretty quick one day.

Then, it is onto a heavy brushing operation on the North end of the RR Grade as soon as the brusher head is repaired. We will also be doing 2 or 3 trail grading operations this summer. All followed up by ***Hopefully*** our first groomer barn construction this fall. Stay tuned to the Club News threads for whats going on this summer and the following fall. Remember fall brushing and signing as always scheduled for the 3rd, and 4th Saturday of October. Come one, come all, and bring a friend.

-Neil
the Snow VP
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-16-15

Thanks for all the work you do Neil. And thanks to all the groomer drivers. Best damm trails in the state!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Bill
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-16-15

What Wink said, thanks to everyone, Straits trails are second to NONE!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

I also agree with Wink.

I have said this in the past on this site, however it bears repeating. The St. Ignace trails are by far and away the best groomed and maintained trails in the entire State, and I have ridden just about all of them.

Thank you to all the men and women that contribute so much to the sport.

I can't wait to bring my quads and side x side up to try out your ATV system.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
conniver04
Trail Master

Neil, Thanks to all you and everyone else up there do for us to enjoy the sport we love. It was a short season but a great one. I was there most weekends and rode every system west to Gwinn and by far the straits were the best of all. I'M kinda shy but did break through and talked to a lot of other people in other clubs this season and they all had good things to say about our club. People all around are reconizing what a good job we are doing down here with less snow than them.

I also have to thank our club Pres Jimmy D for all the hospitality this season. I stayed at the Super 8 every weekend and only had to trailer out a few times. What a great place to stay and Jimmy will do about anything to help if there's a problem.

Thanks again and as always I will be back for signing in the fall.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

ditto to those above and a big thank you to all involved in straits program you guys and gals rock......
Old 03-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

Thanks for the props there guys. Those are kinds words.

Kenny, um, if you classify yourself as shy, I really gotta see you cut loose!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Thanks for the props there guys. Those are kinds words.

Kenny, um, if you classify yourself as shy, I really gotta see you cut loose!
I figured you would like that...
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
indootime
Trail Master

Thank you!
Closed Thread