Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-20-14

Trails are in very very good to excellent condition. Wednesday brought us yet more snow, with about 1" of good wet trail snow in Iggy, 1.5"-2" in Moran to Epoufette, and 2-4" up in Trout Lake.

Today it is seasonable at 25d, heading to 30, then back down to the 20s for the weekend and all next week. A clipper may get us a quick 2" on Friday night, which will make for very pretty and perfect weekend riding. Can you believe that even off-trail conditions are fantastic on March 20th!?!?

We had a little hiccup with #6 in Iggy on Tuesday and had to call AAA (haha), but groomers are running fine. There are still a few rollers on the RR Grade which are solid ice and will not be going anywhere. All of the trails are snow covered and in wide flat condition. The RR Grade has a very solid ice base with 1-3" of cover and will hold lots of traffic, but may get a little choppy. Eventually you will need to look for ice in the corners, but maybe not this weekend.

Conditions will be fantastic the weekend, and then we have one more 'official' weekend the following, so don't summerize those sleds just yet, we have a good month of riding to go, with 10 more official days.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-20-14

Sitting in Brimley right now. Trails are great and so is the NCAA Tourney! Hope you Buckeyes enjoyed it Better luck next year!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

So, forgot a couple things in this mornings report.

It is the first day of spring. Ya. rrrrright. we still have 2-3' of snow on the level, and no major meltdown in the near future.

Did I say that trails are in reallllllly good condition?

Town access still isn't too tough. Remember we really have not had any decent snow all month, so some of the roads are getting bare. The trail through town will have a total of 2-300' of pavement, mostly behind city hall. Riding to the Shell isn't a big issue. The Mackinac Bridge connector trail is in a bit tougher shape. Without new snow, the sides of the road are getting down to pavement, and you will have to deal with 2-3 blocks of not-great area. I have the trail down the side of the service road built, so total access isn't fantastic, but you should be able to deal with it.

Also, as I have been getting inquiries, yes the ice bridge to Mackinac Island is still being used.

There is renewed logging going on on our Caffey trail for about 8 miles or so. Trail 2 from 473 out to Rexton will be in tough shape and will go fairly quick after it warms up. Ice and a bit rough for the time being, perfectly passable.

It is Thursday afternoon. Are your sleds all gassed up?

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-20-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
jeffry123
Fan Cooled

Truck is gassed up and the sleds are up there waiting. Leaving first thing in the morning. Glad there is a little fresh snow with some more due Friday evening. Looking forward to a great weekend of riding! I know its been said many times, but thank you again Neil, & all the volunteers that make the straits area such a great place to ride!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Trails are in awesome shape. We got 4" in Moran and the further north you go the better it is. Wind is blowing so most of the open areas are drifting badly. We broke powder from Moran all the way to Rudyard and then only 1 track to Brimley. Great day so far. Haven't passed but 2 sleds all day.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Neil isn't being fair with you guys on the trail conditions. They are not very good at all. They are excellent!!!! You would never know its end of March. We rode from the cabin here in Moran to Rudyard, Kinross, Brimley, Strongs, And Trout Lake and things were awesome. Lots of fresh powder on top and more the further north you go. sure was fun to break powder all the way to kinross and only passed 2 sleds all day. Come on UP
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
conniver04
Trail Master

Well the trails are so good Matt and I are heading out in the morning and backpacking west as far as we can make it and returning Sat. Gotta love being able to do this in late March.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Going by your luck over the last week, this will be an interesting trip!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Floyd
Trail Master

I hope Sheila keeps her phone close by. Hopefully a search and rescue mission won't be necessary.

On another note. All you U of M and MSU fans go ahead and rub it in. Didn't get a chance to watch the game (damn work got in the way), but our Buckeyes apparently didn't deserve to win last night. Always gotta cheer for the Big 10 teams come tournament time, so best of luck to the teams UP north.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post

I hope Sheila keeps her phone close by. Hopefully a search and rescue mission won't be necessary.

On another note. All you U of M and MSU fans go ahead and rub it in. Didn't get a chance to watch the game (damn work got in the way), but our Buckeyes apparently didn't deserve to win last night. Always gotta cheer for the Big 10 teams come tournament time, so best of luck to the teams UP north.
Your buckeyes just followed the football teams lead and took Warren buffets bribe and went and got some new tattoo's
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Going by your luck over the last week, this will be an interesting trip!
All is well so far. Back to Munising having a beer or 2. Had a great day today although I feel like a bobble head after these last 20 or so miles. Groom the trails please. And if you don't know how I know a club that does. Sure does make you appreciate our system.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Now you know why I won't go back to Munising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
All is well so far. Back to Munising having a beer or 2. Had a great day today although I feel like a bobble head after these last 20 or so miles. Groom the trails please. And if you don't know how I know a club that does. Sure does make you appreciate our system.
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Gunner F5
Trail Master

The MSA, DNR, SOMEBODY..........needs to crawl up someone's you know what it in Munising and get to the bottom of that crap going on there. There's a good thread in the Michigan forum on HCS that spells out what the issue is, but so far where's the MSA, DNR?? Pathetic.

Last edited by Gunner F5 : 03-22-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
con-fusion
Trail Master

Careful Kenny; big Blue could be looking at hot Mercer team (whoever they are lol) in the next round with a win tonight. And if the teams up north keep winning could be a rematch with Sparty nation, the season series is U of M 2(regular season wins), Sparty 1 (big ten champs). should be interesting, hope they have tv in Punta Cana
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Cool Re: Trail Conditions 3-20-14

Had a good time at Timmy's last night with Conniver, Skeet, Smitty, and the Bay City Roller.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #16
Yammer2013
I'm New Here

Could anyone please tell me where to park in St. Ignace so I can access the trail there? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
Wink
Trail Master

You can park at the city parking lot behind the NAPA store downtown. Just take Rte. 2 thru town and turn left on the first street after the NAPA store. The parking lot is right there and the town trail runs right beside it.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #18
Yammer2013
I'm New Here

Thanks for the info. Wink. One more question please, how many miles by trail is it to Paradise from St. Ignace? Thinking about one last ride! Also, is the RR grade rough now?

Last edited by Yammer2013 : 03-24-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: needed more infor
Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

RR grade should be in good shape with some gentle rollers here and there.

St. Ignace to Paradise is about 80 to 90 miles. Varies depending on the path you take to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer2013 View Post
Thanks for the info. Wink. One more question please, how many miles by trail is it to Paradise from St. Ignace? Thinking about one last ride! Also, is the RR grade rough now?
M.S.A.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #20
Schuie
Trail Master

I would run to Raco and then up, they plow the trail north of Hulbert. I wish they would either make it a trail or remove the dotted line on the map, because unless it snowed 6" the night before and your on it before 9 in morning its nothing but a bare ice road. It looks like it would be shorter but Raco is a much better ride and cooler on your sled.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
yamirider
Junior Rider

I agree about going through Raco. Against my better judgement two weeks ago, decided to take 'the road trail" down from Paradise. Head to stop twice because of overheating issues and had to ride bare pavement longer than i would have liked. I should have known better. Other than that, the trails were great.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
Yammer2013
I'm New Here

Thanks for all the great info. I will go the RACO route because of the overheating issue. What about riding back to St. Ignace from Paradise through Newberry? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Going back through Newberry is fine, but avoid the Caffey Truck trail (down by Rexton) since it is being logged now and is plowed down to nothing.

Take the trail from Rexton to Cut River or the north trail from Rexton to Trout Lake for the return to St Ignace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer2013 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. I will go the RACO route because of the overheating issue. What about riding back to St. Ignace from Paradise through Newberry? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
M.S.A.
Closed Thread