Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-18-14

Things are getting back to normal. We got a good 3-4" last night and both of the groomers were out. That is the first time in a month that both of our machines were running at the same time. Why? If you haven't heard, it is easier to check out crazy problems we have had.
Have I said trails are in fantastic shape? Tons of base, crazy amount of off trail snow to play in, and the ice bridge is open to Mackinac Island.

This weeks forecast is showing that Thursday will be the first time this year that we are above 30d. It will not hurt anything at all, but I would plan on riding around Thursday as they are predicting a mix of rain and snow. We are running the groomers on Thursday night and will get the soft snow squished down for the Friday freeze and will be ROCKING for the weekend. Both machines will be running and I see no reason that trails will not be fantastic.

FORECAST:
Quote:
Today Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Tonight Scattered snow showers before 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 31. West wind 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday Night Increasing clouds, with a low around 20. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight.
Thursday Snow and freezing rain, mainly after noon. High near 33. Breezy, with an east wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Thursday Night Rain or freezing rain before 1am, then snow showers likely. Low around 25. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Friday Snow showers likely with areas of blowing snow before 1pm, then areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow showers after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Breezy.
Saturday A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19.
Saturday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.
Sunday A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.

This weekend is Jr pond hockey. That means all the hotels with pools will be tough to get into for this weekend with all the kids. Last weekend featured a record breaking tournament for the LaBatte Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship, (did I mention my team repeated as Ice Bowling Champs!?). The weekend of March 1, it the newly expanded Ice Chip Golf Scramble. Why not play a golf tournament under the shadow of the Mackinac Bridge!! (See attached below)
UP Ice Chip Golf Scramble - Brochure (1).pdf

Incase you missed it, the local airline had a little problem yesterday morning. Everything turned out fine thankfully. News Link.
This pic was taken with my phone, through a set of binoculars, weird but it worked.
plane.jpg

With the fresh 4" last night Randy is headed out to pack things down.
Enjoy Tuesday groomer candy:
waiting to groom.jpg
Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Floyd
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-18-14

With all the bad luck, I'm impressed how well you maintained your sanity, Neil! I'm sure that your consumption of intoxicating beverages has drastically risen over the past month. I sure hope everything is as back to normal as they possibly can, and that we can have another good 6 weeks of riding and great trails. Thanks again for coordinating all the grooming operations and hats off to you for keeping the Straits trails the BEST in the state.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Things are getting back to normal. We got a good 3-4" last night and both of the groomers were out. That is the first time in a month that both of our machines were running at the same time. Why? If you haven't heard, it is easier to check out crazy problems we have had.
Have I said trails are in fantastic shape? Tons of base, crazy amount of off trail snow to play in, and the ice bridge is open to Mackinac Island.

This weeks forecast is showing that Thursday will be the first time this year that we are above 30d. It will not hurt anything at all, but I would plan on riding around Thursday as they are predicting a mix of rain and snow. We are running the groomers on Thursday night and will get the soft snow squished down for the Friday freeze and will be ROCKING for the weekend. Both machines will be running and I see no reason that trails will not be fantastic.

FORECAST:

This weekend is Jr pond hockey. That means all the hotels with pools will be tough to get into for this weekend with all the kids. Last weekend featured a record breaking tournament for the LaBatte Blue UP Pond Hockey Championship, (did I mention my team repeated as Ice Bowling Champs!?). The weekend of March 1, it the newly expanded Ice Chip Golf Scramble. Why not play a golf tournament under the shadow of the Mackinac Bridge!! (See attached below)
Attachment 2104

Incase you missed it, the local airline had a little problem yesterday morning. Everything turned out fine thankfully. News Link.
This pic was taken with my phone, through a set of binoculars, weird but it worked.
Attachment 2103

With the fresh 4" last night Randy is headed out to pack things down.
Enjoy Tuesday groomer candy:
Attachment 2105

Good thing the lake was froze!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
polaris4me
Trail Master

We come up behind the groomer at Castle rock road this morning. Rode to the Deere stop and seen no tracks on Bruma Grade to R/R grade. So we had to go that way. Wish I had video of that .Awesome
We were the first on Dick rd to. Just a great day of riding, fresh snow,sunshine and very little traffic.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !

Last edited by polaris4me : 02-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
polaris4me
Trail Master

Here's a pic near the Bevort campground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01717.jpg (76.8 KB, 86 views)

M.S.A.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Trails should be in decent shape today with yesterdays run, and with the forecast for today I think we are going to hold any runs today. We will run tomorrow night while it is warm/raining to get things squished out for the friday freeze.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
polaris4me
Trail Master

Trail are in great condition. Foggy start today, it hung near the lake shore till 1pm. Tried to cross u2 in Brevort and you could not see 20 yards in front of you. We did not chance it. Nice and sunny later in the day.
10-15 truck/trailers at Little Bear today. Only one yesterday. Still not many sleds on the trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01722.jpg (24.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01720.jpg (47.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01724.jpg (67.7 KB, 54 views)

M.S.A.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Nice Pics---Thanks for sharing.
Closed Thread