Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-30-14

Well we are at the halfway mark of the 2013-2014 season already and I think everyone can agree that it has been great, if not fantastic so far. The snow just keeps coming and the trails continue to be in fantastic shape. The temps are finally going to moderate a bit, with 20s today and high teens for the next 4-5 days. We are expected to get about 2-3" of snow over the next 2 days, then clear for the I-500 weekend. St. Ignace is a fantastic place to drop and ride to the Soo for the day. 2 different ways to get will give you a true loop to enjoy the experience. A true sledders weekend!

Trails are holding up very well, we have a fantastic base now sitting at about 20". Off trail has insane powder to play in, almost too much without deep lug long tracks! PLEASE REMEMBER when meeting the groomer, that the snow is deep off-trail, we they will not move out of the way, it is your responsibility to find an appropriate place to get off trail as soon as you see the groomer. If possible they will lift a wing for you to get by, but it will be tight. Please help out and give a thumbs up!

Treeline to Mackinac Island is up and being used. Check ice conditions locally and be careful!

The Second Biggest pond hockey tourney in the country is happening in 2 weeks in St. Ignace. Don't miss it!

The bad news is we are going to be on one groomer still for the next week or so. We will cover the entire system every 3 days or so as needed, and try to double shift over the weekend to keep things in great shape.

There is ongoing logging in the core of our system, and on the Cedarville connector. Please be on the lookout for log trucks. Other then that no trail hazards to report, but with the winds and sporadic grooming, please keep on the watch for drifts in the open areas.

I took a quick cruise last night and got some trail candy for you. It was a short out and back to Cast Rock to check some mechanical issues, so that is why you see me returning on a perfect ribbon, as it was just groomed 15 minutes before. The last pic is of drifting I was talking about. I took what was supposed to be a quick trip through chain lake, and found these massive drifts that were made over the last few days. It took 6 passes to clear the 5' tall beasts out of the way.

The trails are perfect, the bridge is open, and it is I-500 weekend.... leave all the others in troll-land, Time to head up to the UP!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140129_190741.jpg (16.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20140129_190747.jpg (14.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 20140129_191915.jpg (19.2 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-30-14

Boy am I getting the stories. Just had to send sleds out to break tail for the groomer. He could not find the tail in moan. We were supposed tho get up to 3in of snow. Well we got an easy 4-5 in Iggy and over 8 in Moran in under 3 hours! The drifts are the biggest in 8 years and over7 feet tall. Probably going tho have to spend some time cleaning that area up this weekend. Should have pics tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
sjmcphail
Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Boy am I getting the stories. Just had to send sleds out to break tail for the groomer. He could not find the tail in moan. We were supposed tho get up to 3in of snow. Well we got an easy 4-5 in Iggy and over 8 in Moran in under 3 hours! The drifts are the biggest in 8 years and over7 feet tall. Probably going tho have to spend some time cleaning that area up this weekend. Should have pics tomorrow.
Came through Moran headed back to Iggy around 6:00 this evening; thought we were in the X-Games. Easily the biggest drifts we've ever seen. Please let us know if the groomers make progress tonight or if the western trails are a better option to head north tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
sjmcphail
Liquid Cooled

Well they did bust through the drifts and the grade was decent up to Trout Lake this morning. Coming back though, different story! We rode up to Brimley and back doing the big loop through Strongs and then down through Rudyard. As crazy as it sounds, the Straits trails were the roughest of the day. Very surprising for a Friday. Sure hope the other groomer gets back up here soon. I'm sure it's tough maintaining the trails with one arm tied behind your back!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Sorry about your ride. We groomed the entire system last sunday and rhen had to shut grooming down until last night. Last night Randy busted the lower loop open. Bob is going to try to get all the north done tonight. Realistically due to the storm it is going to take several trips to get it fixed and we will be behind all weekend As I don't have the time and drivers to double shift things correctly with one machine The whole weekend.

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-31-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Just got to Moran and all I can say is holy snow! Deff the most snow I have seem up here in quite some time!!!! Hope everyone enjoys the amazing weather and has safe travels tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
sjmcphail
Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Sorry about your ride. We groomed the entire system last sunday and rhen had to shut grooming down until last night. Last night Randy busted the lower loop open. Bob is going to try to get all the north done tonight. Realistically due to the storm it is going to take several trips to get it fixed and we will be behind all weekend As I don't have the time and drivers to double shift things correctly with one machine The whole weekend.
Not your fault, you've always done such a great job we've gotten to expect perfect Straits trails every time. It would just be nice to know when you cease grooming for 3-4 days so people have the chance to alter travel plans accordingly. This forum gives a great opportunity to do that. I know we would have waited a few days to head up.

Thanks for all your efforts!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
conniver04
Trail Master

Had a great ride today. Made it to Grand Marais and back. All the trails were in great shape. I haven't seen this much snow in alot of years. Get UP here and enjoy this great winter. Great job to the straits club keeping them smooth with a man down. Keep up the great work.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmcphail View Post
Not your fault, you've always done such a great job we've gotten to expect perfect Straits trails every time. It would just be nice to know when you cease grooming for 3-4 days so people have the chance to alter travel plans accordingly. This forum gives a great opportunity to do that. I know we would have waited a few days to head up.

Thanks for all your efforts!
I didn't expect to shut grooming down and there is a very very good reason we took that step. I will fill the board in on the details next week when I am allowed.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
polaris4me
Trail Master

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Most of the system got groomed last nite, I did the south loop and Bob was headed back out to do the west/north trails.

Well here is some eye candy from my run last nite:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (189.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0353.jpg (139.1 KB, 123 views)
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
ski-doo
Fan Cooled

Awesome trails all weekend, so much snow!!! Thanks to everyone who took the time to groom them.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Our group of 14 will be at the Budget Host on 5-6-7-8 February.

Usually only 6 of us make the trip, but our other riding buddies have been hearing from us for years how great you guys/gals groom and maintain your trails.

Keep up the good work. I ride all over the Lower and Upper and St. Ingnace trails are by far the best.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
Snow VP
Administrator

Thanks for taking a guest groomer run on Saturday Todd.

For those that don't know several times a year Todd will take time out of his sledding vacation and do a shift on the groomer. He does a great job!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Wink
Trail Master

We were UP this past weekend and the riding was epic. Toddmeister, Floyd and I all went out on Friday and rode to Engadine. Absolutely fantastic trails. The bar in Engadine has been cleaned UP a bunch and is a nice place to stop.

My son rolled in Friday night so he went with the rest of us and rode to the Soo on Saturday. We went UP through Strongs and made the loop to come back down through Kinross and down to Trout Lake. Toddmeister left us at Brimley to return to Iggy to do some grooming. Todd deserves a lot of thanks for being willing to leave such great riding conditions in order to get back and do some grooming and keep the trails great for the rest of us. THANKS Toddmeister!!!!!

I can't even describe the amount of snow that is out in the woods. I've been riding there about 10 years and it is the most I can remember!!!!!

Saturday night we got together at Timmy Lees with Conniver04 and his wife Sheila and son Matt. Always good to have our group together and enjoy a few hops.

I do believe there are a couple name changes in order for a couple members of this forum, possibly as follows:

Toddmeister should be Bay City Roller

Conniver04 should be Bark Bender

That's all I've got to say about that!!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thanks Wink and Neil, I enjoy grooming as much as riding the sled. It's fun to be out in the woods...

Now to think what can roll me over next...hmmmmmmmm
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Snow VP
Administrator

HaHaHaHa
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
Gunner F5
Trail Master

Bark Bender eh?? Guess I need to stop over at the dealership
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner F5 View Post
Bark Bender eh?? Guess I need to stop over at the dealership
They say 90% of all accidents happen within 1 mile of home, with Kenny it would be 100 yards.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
Floyd
Trail Master

They say better late than never, but just wanted to reiterate what Neil and Wink mentioned earlier. A big THANK YOU goes out to ToddMeister for devoting his time to help out with the grooming. To put on 150 miles or so on the trails, turn around and groom for 7 hours, and still meet up with us at Timmy's later on is certainly commendable. Just for that, I will not refer to you as the Bay City Roller for 1, ok 2 days.
Thanks again Todd!! It was great riding with you last weekend.
Sorry I didn't post this earlier. I've been pretty preoccupied recently.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
They say 90% of all accidents happen within 1 mile of home, with Kenny it would be 100 yards.
100 yards? Try 100 Feet
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
conniver04
Trail Master

I still can't believe I rubbed that tree in the yard. No big deal but crazy. Can't believe how much snow is in the yard.. Glad it was Sheila's sled and not my new ride...lol
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
Floyd
Trail Master

It's been a pretty rough season so far on your equipment, Kenny. Hopefully this wasn't as bad as the last episode.
Is Sheila going to make you buy her a new sled for next year?