Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-02-14

Happy New Year

Trails are in pretty good shape right now. There is a solid hard base of 6" or so, and we have worked it and widened things out to the limits, and are waiting for some new snow to top things off and make it perfect. There have been some stutter bumps develop. Typical ridable and not a big deal but they are there, especially on the RR grade. We were working them last night, but didn't make much progress - see below.

Off trail is in better shape, things are softer then I would expect, and look to be in fun shape. Still no major base under there, so watch for obstructions and be careful for hidden ski-smashers.

It is seriously cold around here. Yes the Island ferry has quit running for about a week. There was open water over last weekend, so no ice bridge as of yet. Things are looking good for a stable ice bridge this year, I will post when the treeline goes up.

Did I say things are COLD? Hasn't been a great new year so far around here. Me and Randy had to tent the tractor and put a heater on it to get it going for last nights run. We warmed it up for over and hour and Randy headed out to get a run in. An hour into the run the fuel froze and we had a dead tractor. Top it off with a broken part, and we had to tow her in last night. Parts are on the way, and we have it scheduled to go into some heat tomorrow night. Iggy tractor is down for now, should be back on-trail Saturday evening. Brevort tractor is covering the core of the system today, and probably tomorrow so we should be in decent shape.

Don't fear the stutter bumps, head on up and put down some miles!
Happy New year everybody.

Notice: The flowing water problem got a little worse over the weekend, as it went from 4" to 6" deep, and got about 15' wide. This are is about 5 miles South of Trout Lake on the RR Grade, a mile North of M-123. We have hazard signs up to mark the location, and you can easily drive to the side to get around if you don't want to drive through, but I don't want people to hit it at speed. Please be careful. We now have it marked with stop signs.

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-02-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-02-14

-11 when I awoke today. -1 now. Supposed to get up to 18 today.

About too cold to do anything. Parts should be here today, and we are going to try and get the SI groomer into heat tonight.

Dress right, it is supposed to be super cold Sunday - Tuesday. single digits for highs.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Bob ran North loop last night and reported 4-14in with the heaviest from brevort to trout lake. We worked on si machine today and got it up and running. Randy headed out to do lower loop at 4 and will hsve it all fixed up soon. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Thanks for all that you guys/gals do. I have ridden all over the Upper and Lower and the St. Ignace trails are by far and away the best in the State.
Closed Thread