Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Hot Tub & Pub (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Pay It Forward (http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1818)

Wink 11-25-2016 08:05 AM

Pay It Forward

I just wanted to share an experience we had yesterday.

Claire and I decided to go to Applebee's to eat for Thanksgiving since both our families are scattered to the wind. We love Applebee's! It wasn't very crowded at all. We ordered our meals and had a couple of beers. The whole time we were there we were having a very good and spirited conversation with our waitress. About half way thru our meal, she told us that our meal had been paid for. At that time a young man who had been seated at the bar came over as he was leaving and said "Happy Thanksgiving". He had just gotten back a few days before from his fourth tour in Afghanistan and wanted to do something for someone on the holiday. I was absolutely speechless and somewhat choked up. It should have been us buying for him. I stood and shook his hand and thanked him for his service and the gift.

I wondered "why us"? The waitress said he had thought of buying for 3 young people that were at another table but after seeing that they were rude to their waitress he changed his mind.

We wondered how to pay it forward and after talking it over, decided to help our waitress. In our conversation she had told us that she had a 7 year old son and was working 2 jobs to pay down some medical bills. We got an Applebee's gift bag, put some cash in it with a note and left it with her before we left. Somehow it doesn't seem like enough.

This young man who had served our country left an impression on me that I will never forget.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and wish you the happiest of holidays to come.

Randy

Go Fast or Go Home 11-25-2016 12:42 PM

Re: Pay It Forward

Randy---Wonderful story.

So nice of you to pay it forward as you did.

My wife and I eat out frequently. Once a month we pick up the tab for young couples with kids that are probably not able to afford to out to eat very often.

Someone once did it for us when we were young and as you said---It made an impression on both of us.

Don~

skidoodude04 11-27-2016 09:43 PM

Very cool story. Try to pay it forward whenever possible.

polaris4me 11-28-2016 07:15 PM

Yes, wonderful story. A feel good story.

I have payed the toll at the Mac. bridge for a car behind me a few times.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ToddMeister 11-29-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polaris4me (Post 13241)
Yes, wonderful story. A feel good story.

I have payed the toll at the Mac. bridge for a car behind me a few times.

Remind me to follow you into Iggy next time LOL :waves: :smilielol :smilielol

Floyd 12-17-2016 11:33 AM

Thanks for posting that up, Wink! I just love hearing stories like that. I sat beside a member of our military (in his camo attire) a few years ago on a plane. I bought his drink and snack, thanked him for his service to our great Country, and offered to drive him wherever he needed to go once we landed. Although he already had travel arrangements made, he thanked me for the drinks and snack. I don't think I could ever repay someone who has served to protect us.

ridge runner 12-18-2016 10:28 PM

that's awesome

Skeet 12-18-2016 10:35 PM

Great story. Someone bought me a drink once when I was in uniform. It was very nice, especially since it was pre 9/11. Not many people appreciated soldiers back then.