PDA

View Full Version : New York Trails

Schuie
12-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Has anyone rode in New York? I was looking at things on the internet and I can't seem to get a whole lot of information. The few trail reports I got were from a couple years back, and the New York Snowmobile Association's website was no help at all. I wasn't planning a trip, but I am glad I didn't have my mind set on it. I have to give it up to Neil and everyone else promoting and updating Michigan snowmobiling!!! I will definitely be waiting for the snow in Michigan before I try to figure out what is going on in New York.

Snow VP
12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Hard Core Sledder site has forums for each of the states, you could try for New York Info there:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/281-new-york/

And, no, although it looks tempting, I don't thing you can blast through Manhattan, even with the 2' of snow!

ToddMeister
12-28-2010, 12:55 PM
You could start your own "taxi" service until the plows get their thing done. LOL

And, no, although it looks tempting, I don't thing you can blast through Manhattan, even with the 2' of snow!

con-fusion
12-28-2010, 09:06 PM
sleddin in New York is very expensive, each clubs trail system requires a seperate trail permit (sticker), and they are not cheap $50+ , trail systems are not very large either.
Been there, did not like it,

Snow VP
12-28-2010, 10:12 PM
What did you say? You need a special sticker to ride the Straits trails??

OMG, that would be such a pain in the butt to patrol!

Actually, I thought you had to be a member of a local club to buy a statewide trail sticker. I think I would rather just have the state trail sticker more $$, and distribute it to the clubs. Then again, I can see, if a certain trails get more traffic, then that club would get more $$. Who knows, it is all a pain in the butt!

con-fusion
12-29-2010, 09:36 PM
not kidding Neil; straits club sticker, TASA sticker, Seney sticker, it was a pain in the a$#. And not cheap, still that way according to the NY web.:banghead:

Schuie
12-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Yea that would be a pain. You would almost have to have a gate on all the trails where it changes clubs, it would be like the turn pike, lol.

Snow VP
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Get a pass card, or toss coins in the basket on the way by.

MJA
01-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Get a pass card, or toss coins in the basket on the way by.

:smilielol I-zoom

Floyd
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
:smilielol I-zoom

NOW THAT RIGHT THERE WAS DOWNRIGHT FUNNY!!!!

NYSnowmobiler
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I have ridden the trails in NY. I have family there. The area I have ridden is SW NY State, mainly Chautauqua County. It is gorgeous to ride there.

Check out this page for information. Chautauqua Lake Snowmobile Club has around 1900 members.

http://www.chautauquasnow.com/Trail-Information/DMV-Requirements.aspx

Snow VP
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Check out this page for information. Chautauqua Lake Snowmobile Club has around 1900 members.

1900!!!!!!! :eek: Sometimes I wonder if we have 19 that are active!

con-fusion
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
That might make club VP a full time job Neil, not sure you have that much spare time left in your busy schedule.

NYSnowmobiler
01-10-2011, 09:16 AM
1900!!!!!!! :eek: Sometimes I wonder if we have 19 that are active!

If I remember correctly, they are the 2nd largest club in NY. There are other clubs in the area as well, but this is the largest. They maintain 190 miles of trails with 8 grooming machines. Although they are the largest in that area, my relatives belong to the Ellery Sno-Cruisers and the Grand Island Snowmobile Clubs.

My point is, do not discount SW NY as a spot to ride. It is truly beautiful and the trails are well maintained. You can ride from down around Pittsburg all the way to Maine on trails. Similarily you can run from the UP to North Dakota, so its all in what you want to do.

polaris4me
01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, 8 groomers for 190miles!

Neil, we need two more groomers!
Oh ya, and more snow.

Snow VP
01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Ya, I was thinking that. But according to their formula, we need 5+ MORE!