PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bridge to Mackinac Island

98xlt98
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know if the trees are up and people are snowmobiling across to the island from St Ignace?

Snow VP
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Nope. The bay is froze and there is events out there this weekend, but there is still open water between here and the island.

Snow VP
02-28-2008, 10:24 PM
FYI
As of today there are a few trees up to the island. The track through the ice wind rows is only 1 machine wide, and it is a very rough trip. I have not heard what the ice thickness is, I do know that last weekend it was only 3 inches thick. Travel at your own risk, have a plan, let people know that you are going, and when you arrive, and check local conditions before you travel.

A sttory today from 9 & 10 News: http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=130671

As always I, nor the Straits Area Snowmobile Club can condone riding on frozen water, I am just reporting the fact that a few trees are up.

Snow VP
03-11-2008, 06:38 PM
FYI: I am hearing that there is a large water hole on the ice bridge, and some water lying on the surface in places. Contractors are still traveling, but a couple of tourists got wet today.

lov2sled
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
:waves: I followed the tree line on Sunday 3/9, to the Island & back. There is a pressure crack about 3.4ths of the way over that was about 8 inches wide then. I can only guess that is the break that is growing. There are several ice heaves within 50 feet to the shore line that can be nasty if you do not watch where you are going. But it was wonderful sightseeing on the Island, as it was very cold but clear & sunny. But be careful!:cool2[1]:
________
HALF-BAKED (http://half-baked.com)

SuperSportJay
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
We rode to the island on Friday when we got up there and the ice was perfect! We took the whole loop around the island and grabbed lunch at the Irish pub there (can't remember the name right now). It was a blast and definatley something I thought I'd never have the chance to experience. This weekend was by FAR the best trip I've ever made on the snowmobiles.

Snow VP
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Here were rumors and pics flying all around the net over the last couple weeks about this giant ice wave, and cliff in Mackinaw City, and on Mackinac Island. Those proved to be a little inaccurate, and were really in the Ant artic. Attached are pics of the real ice wave from Mackinac Island from my trip over on March 13th. Lots of broken up ice out there this year.

And for the record, the last crossing from the island that I have heard about was last Saturday night, 3-29-08. The storm on Monday broke up the bridge, and what is left the coast guard was supposed to break out today. So after all the crazyness, they did get a decent amount of time on the ice bridge this year, about a months worth.